Your Wellness Journey & the Non-Supportive Spouse
I’m going to lay it all out there. Despite the fact we have some great spouses out there, not all of them are always supportive of us all the time. It works both ways. But, when a person makes a decision that they wish to work on some lifestyle changes to improve their health, well, it’s freaking hard to go at it alone and spousal support is GREATLY appreciated!
WHAT COULD THE ISSUE BE??
Each relationship is unique, but this non-supportive spouse concern arises almost daily in my conversations with clients. It DOES NOT mean you have relationship issues, but you could. However, recognizing a few areas that are bringing about the concern may be helpful for you in proceeding. It could be things like:
- They may not understand your passion or why you are making this choice.
- They are scared you will change and may not love them anymore or need them.
- They are unsure how to support you.
- They are protecting you because the last 18 times you tried something it didn’t work out and you were very unhappy.
- They have financial concerns if this requires a financial investment.
- Your perception of their lack of support may not indeed be the case.
WAYS TO HELP
- Communication is key. Discuss your goals and ASK for support. Let them know how important it is to you.
- Address their concerns. All of them.
- Be prepared to compromise if this is something that changes their routine and lifestyle.
- If the concern is of a financial nature, discuss foregoing gifts for Mother’s Day, your birthday, Christmas, your anniversary.
- My monthly ladies only private support and accountability group. Each month a group runs from the 1st to the 21st. There is no cost to join. All of my upcoming groups and fun challenges are announced in my private Facebook community, Ladies Loving Life. Request to join Ladies Loving Life RIGHT HERE and stay updated on what’s going on!
- Book Recommendation: The 5 Love Languages, by Gary Chapman. Learning what your love language is and that of your spouse is incredibly helpful for your relationship in general. You can take the quiz online to see your love language! CLICK HERE for that!
Watch this video which explains in further detail what you can do when you want to begin or continue a wellness journey and have a non-supportive spouse.